Sunday 23 February 2014

"Beautiful things don't ask for attention."- 13 FAVOURITE SHOTS OF 2013




















And my absolute favourite shot from a 2013 movie is-
A lot has been said about how 2013 movies focused on the idea of the American dream and the way it has been corrupted. There were a number of films that showed excess, practically indulged in it, and then there was Alexander Payne's Nebraska. Shot in black and white, set in small towns which almost seem to have been forgotten, Nebraska shows the "other" America. 

You might wonder why someone like me would care about all this. Though I don't really give a hoot about America or its ideals or whatever, the whole concept of the American dream to me is basically a place where everybody gets to be somebody. We all have places like that in our lives, whether it's a college or a company or a city or a country, and all of us, no matter where we come from or what age we might be, still harbour the hope, or dream the dream, of getting there. 

Woody Grant wants to get to Nebraska to get his million dollars. He is an ordinary man and has been so throughout his life. Who knows what his dreams were. "I never knew the son of a bitch even wanted to be a millionaire!" as his firecracker of a wife exclaims at the beginning of the movie. We also find out, apart from a new truck and an air compressor, Woody's whole desire for getting the million dollars is to leave something behind for his sons. But in the moment above, when the customers at the local diner in his hometown start applauding him for his new apparent status, we see for the briefest of moments, Woody feeling like somebody who is important, probably for the first time in a long time. He is shown as someone who is barely aware of his surroundings half the time, but here, for a second, Woody glimpses at that dream where he has achieved something that makes people appreciate him. It is sad that this moment has come so late, and also oddly affirming that a man like Woody did get to feel that way at some point in his life. It is a moment caught between regret and hope and it is absolutely incredible.

There are technical things to appreciate too. I loved that Nebraska was shot in black and white because old people have such wonderful faces that can only be done justice to in monochrome. The poster had already highlighted the wispiness of Bruce Dern's hair in this movie and this shot really captures that too. Also, the bulb behind makes it look like Woody is in the limelight, which is in tune with what is written above.

13 comments:

  1. Nice choices - I liked Nebraska, but didn't love it. However, the main idea and the cinematography are awesome. My favorite of these has to be Spring Breakers.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I really loved Nebraska. I think I like movies about old people (except Amour). Dunno what that says about me.

      Delete
  2. The first two are so so great and so iconic, too! If you say Nebraska's great, I'll make sure to check it out.

    PS – I just noticed the "What Would Bernard Black Do?" on your sidebar, aahahahahahhahaha, so great!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Nebraska is definitely worth checking out.

      Haha, that's my motto in life :P

      Delete
  3. Cool choices. I especially like your analysis of the shot from Nebraska.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Replies
    1. I know, right? I kinda wanted to go with a shot of Joaquin's face because his face is so perfect, but this was better.

      Delete
  5. Lovely choices and the Nebraska shot write up was great. The first two shots would definitely be among my favorites.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks and thank you for your help too!

      Delete
  6. That shot from Nebraska is a brilliant choice. My favorite would probably be the one from Blue is the Warmest Color, but I love so many of these!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Blue was probably my second favourite. My favourite thing about it is how you can almost see blue streaks in her hair in that shot. Says so much.

      Delete