Sunday 1 July 2012

The Month that was- June

       Gah curse June! In between travelling to another city to give exams, a lot of college madness, painting of the house and me just being lazy, my movie-watching has suffered quite a bit. With a lot of difficulty I have managed to watch 22 films this month, and it's the first time that my rewatches are more than my first-timers, but it was that kind of a month.

Firsts:
1) Con Air- Behold Nicolas Cage in all his long-haired splendour. It was actually quite fun. A bit ridiculous because duhh, but I liked it.
2) Mirror Mirror- Yes it had elements of stupidity and Lily Collins is terrible, but with the look, costumes and hilarious performances from Julia Roberts and Armie Hammer, I actually enjoyed it quite a bit.
3) Snow White and the Huntsman- It was okay when I watched it, but the more I thought about it, the more annoyed I got at the wasted potential.
4) Prometheus- It looked absolutely stunning and it raises a lot of interesting questions, and Fassy is just brilliant. But having said that, with the editing and the way the film jumped around in the middle, I didn't love it completely.
5) Brave- It has made me embark on an animation month, and especially a Disney princess syllabus, just to see how much more superior Merida is to them. Plus all that hair. I WANT TO MARRY IT!
6) Sleeping Beauty- God should not have watched this after Brave. The total blahness of Aurora drove me mad.
7) Pinocchio- I started off loving it, but then that last act was very random. I mean the film seemed so clever and important with all the darkness it shows, and then the whale comes. Uhm..
8) The Amazing Spider-Man- I probably hated it more than you did. Even the eye candy could not save it for me. Haters gonna hate.
9) Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs- I think this is actually my favourite Snow White. Sure Snow White was a bimbo, but I thought it was cute.


Rewatched:
1) The Avengers- This film is the shit. My favourite of 2012 so far.
2) Stardust- I actually really adore this film. Love the story. Love witches and stars and pirates. LOVE Mark Strong and Michelle Pfeiffer playing baddies.
3) Se7en- I love this film so much. The ending still freaks me out. So much pausing to calm my nerves down, even though I know what will happen.
4) Fight Club- My favourite film! How does this movie exist? It is tooo bloody awesome!
5) Amelie- This film is so lovely. This is the first time I saw it on DVD and not the tv and I was surprised to see all the nudity. 
6) Thelma and Louise- These two women are such legends. Excellent excellent film.
7) Network- God I did not remember this film being THIS loud. But it's so relevant still.
8) Before Sunrise- I suddenly got an urge to see it. In all its romance, this film can be so pleasantly profound too.
9) Crazy, Stupid, Love- I can't believe this has taken me so long to rewatch. This is going to become one of those movies I can watch on a loop, and die out of ecstasy every time because Ryan Gosling is just so fine in it.
10) Boogie Nights- It was Paul Thomas Anderson's birthday and I just had to watch my favourite of his. He wrote this when he was freaking 22! That is just crazy!!
11) When Harry Met Sally- Nora Ephron passed away and I just had to watch this favourite of mine by her.
12) The Hours- Endless tears. This film always affects me so much.


Shorts:
La Luna- Oh Pixar, how I love thee. This film is so dripping with magic. I was crying before Brave even started.


TV Shows:
Game of Thrones, season 2 got over. I really enjoyed this one, because I was less frustrated throughout it. a)Favourite episode- Blackwater. I just could not believe that it was a television show I was watching. So epic! b) MVPs- I'm sorry but I can't just choose one. First is of course, our king and savior, Peter Dinklage as Tyrion Lannister. I loved him being in power and actually trying to make things better. Also his scenes with Shae were incredible. Secondly, Lena Headey as Cersei Lannister because god the evil, crazy bitch is ab fab. Lastly, Sophie Turner as Sansa Stark, who has completely turned my opinion of her in this season. I love her character and her very unique sort of strength. c) Favourite quotes- Bronn: [referring *obviously* to Joffrey] "There's no cure for being a cunt." Daenerys: "Until the sun rises in the west and sets in the east. Until the rivers run dry, and the mountains blow in the wind like leaves…"


Books:
1) Paper Tows by John Green- I really enjoyed this one. Got me to think a lot. I love the concept of paper people and paper towns. 
2) The Great Gatsby by F. Scott Fitzgerald- Between the film coming out, and John Green saying that there was a connection between Paper Towns and this, I just had to reread it. Oh god, this book is so wonderful. I still love Nick the most.
3) Fifty Shades of Grey- see below
4) Fifty Shades Darker- So these books were kind of terrible, though I did like the character of Christian Grey. Still one week of my life + a billion brain cells + the remainder of my innocence, lost forever.


Final tally:
                               Firsts- 145                         Rewatched- 74                  Shorts- 5
                                                                          Total- 224


Here's to the second half of this year. Byee.

14 comments:

  1. The Avengers is also my favorite 2012 offering so far! And overall, you rewatched very good films.

    OMG, you called Disney's Snow White a bimbo lol
    Why is you blog so fun? :D

    ReplyDelete
  2. Fight Club!! I can't believe this movie exists either.

    Haven't re-watched Crazy, Stupid, Love either yet... strangely. My sister even has the DVD.
    And all this Brave talk makes me consider watching it even though I had said I'd wait for the DVD.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know right!!

      Oh you should. It is fun!
      WATCH BRAVE!!

      Delete
  3. Nikhat, 22 in a month and you say you somehow managed ??

    You know, actually I have never seen any of Disney's classic animated movies yet. With you, going through all of them this month, I am hoping it will inspire me to watch them too.

    And BTW, I did watch Crazy, Stupid, Love the other day. Pretty Good !!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha I like my one film a day average. That didn't happen this month :(

      Okay cool. I aim to inspire :)

      Yaay. It is, isn't it?

      Delete
  4. Oh hell, that quote by Daenerys always breaks my heart...:( I really loved Sophie Turner this season too, she is quite an impressive young actress.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know right. It's so beautiful.

      Turner is very impressive.

      Delete
  5. Can. Not. Wait. To see Brave!! I actually really love Sleeping Beauty though (but I can understand how Aurora is found lacking). For me, it's more about the fairies and Prince Phillip. And Maleficent in all her glory!
    I misread "The Avengers is the shit" as "The Avengers is shit" and my heart almost stopped! haha! I was thinking, "Nikhat, what happened? Noooo!" lol

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yess!
      I do love the fairies and Maleficient and even Phillip to some degree, but the film should have been about them and not Aurora. She had nothing.

      Hahaaa. No that will never happen!

      Delete
  6. Hell of a lot of great movies there, especially in the re-watch section. Fight Club, Seven, Before Sunrise and Boogie Nights all in one month is what I call heavenly!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love my rewatch section too!! :D

      Delete
  7. Nice list, your re-watch list is impressive!
    I laughed at the "... remainder of my innocence" part :)
    BTW, the random song played by your playlist is Creep-Radiohead, the Scala version, which I LOVE!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks.
      Hahaha it's true alright!
      Oh that version is incredible. Used to play on the Social Network trailer *sigh*.

      Delete