Thursday 31 May 2012

Thoughts

1) First of all, congrats to everyone nominated for The Lammys! You guys rock :D


2) Cannes Film Festival got over this week. I was watching some show in which this Indian chick got to go and interview people like Wes Anderson and Edward Norton. Gah I hate her!! I want to talk to Ed Norton :( Anyways the Palme d'Or went to Michael Haneke's Amour. Haneke's previous film The White Ribbon was also a Palme d'Or winner. I didn't like that one much, but The Piano Teacher which one the Grand Prix back in 2001 has become a recent favourite of mine. I am very much looking forward to seeing Amour. This year the Grand Prix went to Reality. Mads Mikkelsen won Best Actor for his performance in Jagten (The Hunt) and Best Actress went to Cristina Flutur & Cosmina Stratan for their performances in Beyond the Hills. I must admit I haven't heard of many of the other films that won other prizes. The Caméra d'Or or Best First Feature Film did go to Beasts of the Southern Wild, which had also won the Grand Jury Prize at Sundance and which many of the critics are already calling one of the best films of the year so far. I am looking forward to seeing as many of these films as I can.


3) The Television BAFTAs took place this week as well. Benedict Cumberbatch lost again! I smell a Sherlock-hating rat with a pip-squeaky voice. What the hell people! Still, the best part of the show was when he, along with my soulmate and the current Doctor Who- Matt Smith, presented the Special Award to Steven Moffat, the headwriter for both their shows. The quirky sexy duo were just perfect. Also, Andrew Scott won the Best Supporting Actor for his chillingly brilliant performance of Jim Moriarty, which was awesome! Last year, this award was won by the fantastic Martin Freeman, who plays Doctor Watson and had been nominated again this year. So basically everyone has won except Cumberbatch. Curses! Also regarding season 3 of Sherlock, this is what Moffat had to say- "We’re trying to schedule everything around everything. Obviously, Sherlock Holmes is off battling Captain Kirk, and Dr Watson is helping Gandalf, and I’m in the TARDIS." Lovely bloke.


4) Oh Game of Thrones watchers- how bloody awesome was Blackwater?!! Peter Dinklage and Lena Headey are like my favourite TV actors at present. Also you must read this- A-Z of Game of Thrones. Go to J!!


5) Pictures- Bling Ring is on! Just from this one picture, it looks very different from what we have come to expect from Sofia Coppola. True she focuses on the bored privileged people a lot, but there is something very beautiful about that. This just looks, to borrow a word from Ferris Bueller's Day Off, very snooty. Also I am starting to get the feeling that Emma Watson may be the lead, though a huge part of me thinks otherwise. This poster for Catwoman in The Dark Knight Rises hits the note in every single way. It's my favourite so far, and it is exactly what I would expect from Catwoman. I hope Anne Hathaway does justice to the role. Also, my most anticipated film of the year, Django Unchained, has released some new gorgeous shots and increased my anticipation even more. A teaser is coming out soon- YESSSS!!


6) Trailers- The aforementioned Amour's subtitled trailer is out. It has Isabelle Huppert in it, which is enough to make me want to watch the film. Abraham Lincoln:Vampire Hunter has a third trailer out. Theoretically, I like the idea of this film. However, now having watched Dark Shadows and seeing how writer Seth Grahame-Smith adapts movie scripts, I'm a bit scared. Still, the comments below the video are pretty hilarious. There is apparently some Tom Felton movie coming out called The Apparition. It also has Twilight's Ashley Greene and Captain America's Sebastian Stan. Yeah I don't really care, but I am a Harry Potter loyalist so I am obliged to post about it, despite Felton's hairstyle in this movie. The biggest teaser of this week is of Tom Hooper's adaptation of the musical Les Misérables. It honestly does nothing for someone like me, who is ignorant of the source material and who isn't brought to tears by the idea of a period musical, except of course for the high profile cast and Anne Hathaway's lovely singing (just give her the Oscar already!). For me personally, Hugh Jackman singing would have been a bigger draw. Still, I will wait for the trailer and hope that it changes my mind. 


7) Finally, this week I decided to go for some someecards humour for us film nerds-
Genius.

Ciao.

6 comments:

  1. Cannes was pretty controversial this year (nothing for Holy Motors! infamous Efron-Kidman scene! Reality gets Grand Prix! and many other examples). Can't wait to see On The Road!

    I like the new Les Mis trailer, but I agree, it didn't wow me, either! Is that really Anne Hathway's voice? if so, I am impressed!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yep. Well I've never truly followed Cannes, so it will be exciting to see which ones are the big players at the end of the year,

      I'm not sure if it is Anne Hathaway's voice. It is amazing though.

      Delete
  2. I didn't watch the BAFTAs but I essentially saw in GIF form on tumblr. Oh, I love how Andrew Scott was freaking out so much when he won. Very un-Moriarty, that goes without saying, but I still love it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's a good thing he was being un-Moriarty. Otherwise he'd be blowing people up :P

      Delete
  3. Would totally replace the last pic with 'Loki' instead of 'The Avengers' hahaha. God, I can't wait for the DVD release of that. In fact, I just need me some more Tom Hiddleston films.
    I CAN'T WAIT for the Django Unchained teaser!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha, Loki is amazing. I can't wait for the DVD either.
      I know right. I have the date marked down.

      Delete