Friday 8 October 2010

"My songs are just little letters to me." ~ BEST MUSIC VIDEOS

      So I know that this is mainly a film-appreciation blog, but I quite like songs too if you've noticed the playlist at the bottom. Now today I saw a music video and thought it was one of the most beautiful and brilliant things I've ever seen. I love good music videos. There have been many times when I hear a song and imagine how the video would look like...I bet many of us do that actually. I think there can be nothing better to compliment a good song than an equally good video.


      So these are some of my favourite music videos (or the ones I remember right now):


1) Gravity, Sara Bareilles- This was the video I saw today. The use of lights in the video is just incredible. It's like a dream. I can't think if such an effect can realistically be used in a film, but a musical or something, it would just do wonders. It's just transplendent.
Video


2) Dog Days Are Over, Florence + The Machine- I mean the cool, apparently wiccan video and not the awful Avatar-dancer video. I love people going mental in forests...really do. There's something awesome about pagan rituals and Florence Welsh is just gorgeous.
Video


3) Islands, The XX- I love them dancers. This is my personal favourite XX song due to the simplicity of its idea, but the whole backstory with the fantastic dancers makes it so much more.
Video


4)Bones, The Killers- Okay I accept I'm biased when it comes to Tim Burton, but this is an awesome video. It's so expected that he would put skeletons in a love story. The song is genius and I honestly prefer the From Here To Eternity kiss in the video to the real one.
Video


5) You're so Gay, Katy Perry- I love it. I love the fun, cynical Katy Perry. The whole Barbie-Ken twist is superb. Though I like most of her videos, just the amount of insulting and demeaning is plain inspiring.


6) All You Need Is Love, The Beatles- Flower Power! Words cannot describe how much I want to be sitting in the crowd. It's lovely.
Video


7) Thriller, Michael Jackson- I know people would find it a "cliché" but, as I always say, that a cliché is nothing but a hit formula. MJ has made amongst the best videos and Thriller is the epitome- the setting, the make-up, the zombies, the dance, It's a legend.
Video


8) Northern Downpour, Panic At The Disco- Many consider it their best song yet, including me. It's very sad that they disbanded right after this. They had so much potential that it kills me. It's a very cute and Panic-y video.


9) What Goes Around Comes Around, Justin Timberlake- Oh I loved it when JT brought sexy back. And this monumental return got completed by this video. It's super-hot. Scarlett Johannson is gorgeous and JT shows he can be as sassy and mean as Katy Perry. I like the debauched sort-of background, and the fact that it has a storyline.
Video


10) Happy Ending, Mika- I love each and every Mika video. But Happy Ending's just special. Its quite a sad song, I always imagined it in a cemetery. Then I saw the happy and childish video. It is so joyful, and charming.
Video


11) Here It Goes Again, OK Go- I seriously look forward to each of their videos like how I look forward to a Tarantino film. They are just grand. Also the whole tradmill dance became such a sensation. They're not even dancers. It's marvelous!!
Video


12) Knights Of Cydonia, Muse- This actually looks like a cross between a movie that would inspire Tarantino and probably someone like George Lucas. I love the insanity of a karate-obsessed "space cowboy".
 Video


13) Vogue, Madonna- Like Thriller, this is plain legendary. Madonna is dazzling. I love the black and white. I love the dancing. I love love love the cultural references! And...the fact that DAVID FINCHER made it!!!
Video


14) 1234 I Love You, Plain White Ts- It's just the most adorable, puppy love video ever. It spreads joy and love. A sappy me would love to be in the video.
Video


15) A Beautiful Lie, 30 Seconds To Mars- They make extreme, mindblowing videos. But going to the Arctic and shooting this video was just the icing on the cake. The message, the song, Jared Leto's bluest-of-all-blues eyes. Takes your breath away, it really does.
Video


Bonus: A bonus awesome video would be Everybody by Backstreet Boys. This song was the total combined essence of the boyband era of the 90s. I bow down to it.
 Video


      Other videos I really like are Boys Don't Cry by The Cure, all Mika and OK Go videos, Empire State of Mind by Jay Z and Alicia Keys, URA Fever by The Kills,  and Cousins by Vampire Weekend.


      Now amongst the videos I hate  are those which completely ruin the song. For instance Chasing Cars by Snow Patrol and Your Guardian Angel by Red Jumpsuit Apparatus. The videos were meant to be as excellent as the song, but they absolutely disappoint. Also I hate many videos and songs together, like California Gurls by Katy Perry. Just want to ask her one thing, What was she thinking?


       However, without these slight glitches, all the videos are exquisite. Watch!!

No comments:

Post a Comment